22 April 2024

Salisbury stung by late Supermarine equaliser

Salisbury were denied all three points following a late Swindon Supermarine equaliser in the first of their Easter fixtures.

Brian Dutton’s side had found themselves two goals down inside 23 minutes even though they started the game brightly and had made chances of their own.

Dave Sims-Burgess opened the scoring on 19 minutes after a long ball forward. He outmuscled the Salisbury defence before some neat footwork took him past Sido Jombati. He finished low and hard past Ryan Gosney, who was making his Salisbury debut in goal.

An uncharacteristically poor pass out of defence from Jombati gave Supermarine possession in the Salisbury half; they quickly pushed forward.

The ball was laid off to Michael Fernandes, who drove forward and finished well, wrong-footing Gosney to double their lead on 23 minutes.

Salisbury aren’t a side that lies down, though, and within 7 minutes, they had a foothold in the game after 30 minutes.

A ball came back out to the edge of the box and fell to Ryan Penny, who showed good feet to work the ball into a small amount of space and smashed home from 18 yards.

It only took four more minutes for Salisbury to level, this time it was Noah Coppin getting his name on the scoresheet.

There was some good interplay on the edge of the box as Jombati fed Dan Fitchett who crossed low into the danger area for Coppin to tap home.

The Whites thought they had taken the lead late in the first half, but after a conversation between the referee and his assistant the goal was ruled out for offside.

Level at 2-2 at half time, it was Salisbury who took the initiative early in the second period, taking the lead just six minutes after the restart.

A good ball forward from Fitchett found Josh Hedges through on the keeper, and he smartly lifted the ball over the top of Fiachra Pagel.

Neither side looked that threatening as players tired and Salisbury were looking to see the game out but dropped deeper as they did so.

The home side eventually capitalised when Sam Turl prodded home a cross from the left wing to grab a late equaliser a minute into time added on.

Salisbury rallied and almost grabbed a late, late winner when Richard McIntyre rattled the upright from a free kick after Charlie Gunson had been fouled.

Salisbury moved level with Gosport Borough but remained in third place on goal difference.

The Whites play again tomorrow (Monday 1st April) as they welcome in-form Basingstoke Town to the Ray Mac for a 3 pm kick-off. Tickets are available online – https://salisburyfc.co.uk/tickets/

52 Hedges

91 Turl

Written by
Andy Munns
View all articles
Written by Andy Munns