19 June 2024

Salisbury comeback extends league lead

Salisbury overcame a two-goal deficit to win and stretch their lead at the top of the Southern League Premier South table to four points.

Brian Dutton’s side were two goals down at halftime away at Hanwell Town, but three second-half goals secured the turnaround, including a debut goal for Harry Williams.

Salisbury’s other goals came from Sido Jombati and Wayne Robinson as the Whites made it six consecutive league wins.

The game got off to a slow start with very little in terms of chances. Salisbury thought they had taken the lead after 14 minutes.

Charlie Gunson put the ball into the back of the net after the ball came back into the box after a corner, but after a long conversation between the referee and his assistant, they eventually ruled the goal out for offside.

Hanwell grew into the game after this, and it was the home side who took the lead after 24 minutes, Dwayne Duncan rising highest to head home from a corner.

Two minutes later the advantage was doubled. Salisbury lost the ball in midfield and Hanwell pounced, Sam Evans showing good composure to finish beyond Gould.

Salisbury came back into the game, but never really troubled Hanwell’s keeper, Sam Beasant, in the lead-up to halftime and trailed by two goals at the interval.

Whatever Brian Dutton said at halftime, it clearly had the desired effect as Salisbury flew out of the blocks and within minutes Dan Fitchett nearly grabbed Salisbury’s first, but his header was just off target.

New signing, Harry Williams came on after 55 minutes, and there was a tweak to the formation, and within minutes Salisbury had a foothold in the game.

Josh Hedges threaded a clever through ball between centre-back and defender, and Harry Williams slotted past Beasant on 64 minutes for a debut goal.

Five minutes later, Salisbury had the chance to create parity after Duncan went from hero to villain, scything down Williams on the box and the referee pointed to the spot.

Sido Jombati stepped up and cooly slotted home the penalty to bring the sides level with 20 minutes still on the clock.

Salisbury kept pushing and creating chances, and their task was arguably made easier when Hanwell were reduced to ten men after a second yellow card led to Fabio Sole heading for an early bath.

The home side defended resolutely until Salisbury finally found a way, as they seem to have the knack of doing.

Harry Williams worked hard and kept a ball in play that most would have let run out for a corner, putting the ball back into the danger area where Wayne Robinson was on hand to put the ball away via cheeky flick and once again win a game for Salisbury in the dying moments.

After the game, assistant manager Callum Hart told the club’s website, “We don’t like to do things easy, but fantastic never-say-die attitude from the players. Just a real good second-half performance from us.”

Video: Salisbury FC

Salisbury return to the Ray Mac this coming Saturday (25th of November) for a local derby against Dorchester Town – can they make it seven in a row? Be there to find out; tickets are available via the club website – https://salisburyfc.co.uk/tickets/

Feature Image: Andrew Palk

Written by
Andy Munns
View all articles
Written by Andy Munns